Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Tips For Breastfeeding Success

Top Ten {Tuesday}

1. Educate yourself ahead of time. Learn everything you can about breastfeeding and know exactly what your body is doing and how it works. I liked the book Breastfeeding Made Simple

Also check out their website for helpful information: www.breastfeedingmadesimple.com

2. Hook up with a support group. You can’t learn everything from a book or class. It’s very hands on learning.

3. TRUST YOUR BODY to do what it was designed to do.

4. TRUST YOUR BABY to eat when they need to. Don’t worry about watching the clock or counting feedings. As long as they are having wet and soiled diapers and gaining weight, they are doing just fine.

5. All purpose nipple ointment. Enough said.

6. Take advantage of the early days and collect as much of the leaking milk as possible. You may need it someday.

7. If it hurts, stop. And try again. This was my downfall the first time. Jacob had trouble latching on so once he was on I didn’t care enough to try to take him off and get a better latch. Then he never learned a proper latch.

8. DON’T supplement with formula. Unless you can pump ounce for ounce what you are giving them. Otherwise, you’re just HURTING your supply because of the basic principles of supply and demand. Instead, if you feel your supply is low, nurse frequently to build it back up. Your body will do what it’s supposed to.

9. Invest in some nice nursing tank tops. They will make your life so much easier!

10. Learn to nurse in different positions. I especially recommend learning to nurse in the side lying position to make night time feedings a breeze!


And one more just for good measure....

11. Enjoy yourself. Enjoy breastfeeding and the special bond you’ll have with your baby from it. Enjoy every minute of it because soon enough, it will be over.


      



Subscribe to Love{&}Bugs by Email

7 comments:

  1. So true! And don't give up just because things aren't going well. I remember people telling me with my first that things got better after 2 weeks. They didn't. I so wanted to give up. Finally, when she was about 4 months old, it just clicked. So glad I never stopped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to give up with my first daughter but with the help of my mother in law and husband, I went on and it got to be simple. When I had my second daughter, it was a breeze from the start. I'm so glad I nursed my two daughter! I am a new follower from the Tiggerific Tuesday hop and hope you would visit my site and follow back. tootsabellarose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them! I wish I would have found a supper group earlier on, it would have been s much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful post! I really wish I had done number 1 before I had my daughter. I expected it to come naturally, but we really struggled. For reason number 11, I'm glad we kept it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are great tips. I loved nursing all my kids. It's usually the first that is the hardest.
    New follower from Tiggerific Tuesday. Hope You follow back.
    http://grandmabonniescloset.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful post! So encouraging :)

    Oh, and to answer your question on my blog I *try* to do my thankful list ever Monday. A lot of bloggers do "Thankful Thursdays" though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. *LIKE*
    I miss breastfeeding. Come March I'll be back in full swing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love! I appreciate all feedback!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...