Friday, June 29, 2012

Small Victories

Lifestyle changes are hard. Slowly, and without my even noticing it, I started making lifestyle changes and suddenly I woke up one day realizing how unhealthy my behavior had become. I had gained an embarrassing amount of weight and gotten myself into bad unhealthy habits. And now I am trying to slowly, and without my even noticing it, change those behaviors again into healthy habits. 

I've started by celebrating my small victories. The little things I do that will -- hopefully -- some day add up to big results. A small victory can be taking the stairs instead of the elevator at work or parking farther away from the door to a store. It can be taking the dog for a walk even if I am too tired or saying no to a snack or dessert that I don't really need. It can be choosing healthy items for dinner -- like salad or fish -- instead of pizza and pasta. Or simply stopping eating when I feel full. That seems logical and yet it's something I struggle with. 

Yesterday's small victory happened at the end of a long day. We came home and I started pulling things out to make pasta salad when I realized I didn't have one of the ingredients. How easy it would have been to jump in my car and drive to the store to pick it up. It would have taken no more than ten minutes. Instead, without even really putting much thought into it, I jumped on my bike and biked to the store and back. And I felt great about myself for doing so! 

And that's what I'm trying to do more of -- small steps to a healthier lifestyle. Steps that I don't necessarily even think about. I'm trying to build habits of health into my daily life. The goal isn't to lose the weight, although that would be GREAT, the goal is to become a healthier version of me. Someone I can be proud of and someone who will be a good role model for my kids. 

What are your small victories? What have you done to improve your health today? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the love! I appreciate all feedback!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...