Friday, January 13, 2012

Tips & Tricks For Breastfeeding an Older Infant or Toddler

I am writing this post as part of The Breastfeeding Blog Hop. This week's topic is Tips and Tricks for Breastfeeding an Older Infant or Toddler.


Breastfeeding Blog Hop hosted by The Slacker Mom


Nursing an older baby/toddler can be frustrating. There are times when you want to ring his {sweet, adorable, precious} little neck and there are times when you want to throw in the towel and just be done with it. If you thought nursing a baby was challenging, wait until nursing a toddler. Although the initial challenges have faded by toddlerhood, toddlers come with a whole new set of challenges. They are distracted. They like to nurse in funny positions. They have chompers. They are very very indecisive.


My tips for nursing a toddler are as follows.

Be patient. Follow Baby's Lead. It's easy to be frustrated when Baby plays a game of on-and-off that makes your head spin. But if he wants on, let him on. If he wants off, let him off. Repeat as necessary and just be patient. This also goes for weaning. Follow Baby's lead on when to wean. Don't stick to a strict feeding schedule but do allow him to nurse if he wants to. Your body will adjust your milk production to meet his needs.
Pump if Necessary! Going on that, pump if baby isn't showing an interest in nursing but you are becoming uncomfortable. The last thing you want to add to the mix is mastitis! Trust me!!!
Minimize Distractions. This is near impossible in our house when Big Brother comes over and climbs on top of Baby and/or kicks him in the head. Or when Big Brother plays with toys that make noise and Baby wants to turn his head to see what's happening. When possible, locate yourself in a quiet, distraction free zone.
Do Not Tolerate Biting. Jacob was a biter. Jordan has learned from the beginning that biting will not be tolerated. If baby bites, tell them no and remove them immediately. I put Jordan in "time out" for biting where he is not allowed to nurse for a set amount of time. This ticks him right off. He's only bitten me a handful of times, if that.
Try different positions. My favorite nursing positions have evolved over time. For an infant it was definitely cross-cradle or side-lying. Now that he's older, I find myself liking the cradle hold and sometimes the saddle hold. For me these are easier positions to keep him where I want him -- at the breast.
Enjoy it. This seems obvious and impossible all at the same time. But enjoy these moments. Although it sometimes seems as if they will, they won't last forever and believe me when I say, you will miss this. 




Subscribe to Love{&}Bugs by Email

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tips! I luckily haven't had to deal with any biting, but I'll now know what to do if it ever happens!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love! I appreciate all feedback!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...